Sunday 8 February 2009

a moan about science....

One of the things in my past that I could kick myself for is the fact that when I was 16 I took 'O' level physics.....didn't try my best and scored only a grade 'D'. Can't say I was fussed at the time - I hadn't enjoyed the lessons, delivered if I recall by a dodgy teacher who looked like Eric Morcambe and wore a jacket with leather elbow patches! - if only I'd worked a bit harder in those lessons and scraped a 'C'.......
Because of the rules from high....I have to have GCSE science at grade 'C' or above to get on any ITT course.....consequently, I am half way through a GCSE science course at City College and it is HORRIBLE!
The lectures are terrible. Delivered by a lecturer (nice enough bloke - not the best teacher I've ever had!) who is clearly only interested in teaching to the exam....the 'knowledge' is transmitted in such a way - we might as well be writing on slates!!!! it's not about understanding science...it's about remembering scientific facts facts facts.
This is an absolute nightmare for me as I have not been in a chemistry or biology class since I dropped them in my options at school! OK- so, Biology, to a certain extent, I find not too bad...but Chemistry....AHHHHH - it's like a foreign language!!!! To make matters worse we have module exams on both of these in March! I am spending much precious time (which I'd rather be spending on the degree) trying to memorise this useless rubbish...none of which is at all interesting to me or relevant to teach 5 - 7 year olds! I think this is what annoys me the most....anyone who knows me will know that I HATE TIME WASTING - it really annoys me....and learning this stuff to get the grade - which then I know I'll forget and never use again.
I am really really really really worried that I might mess this up........I'm even wondering what other job I'll be good at other than Infant school teaching :-((((((...I've not had that thought since I started the degree until now...it's tragic!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Hi Jen....pleeeeaaasseee dont get down hearted about it. Easy to say I know when your not the one in the situation. I did the access to HE course in 2006 and I took the Biology and Chemistry modules - both of which i passed with good grades. If it would be of any help to you, I would gladly dig out my notes and let you have a look to see if they make anymore sense than your lecturer. Let me know.

Crystal said...

hi, Jen. don't feel that you can't achieve a good grade of this.
I've done research on the exam on O levels that found out it was far more difficult then GCSE today. so you will pass it comfortablly as you want.

Anonymous said...

Keep on running, Jen, it'll be worth it in the end.